Have you ever had this puff pastry filled with cream filling and garnished with pistachios? Napoleoni is a very popular dessert in Iran which I always thought was inspired by France and the french pastry Mille-feuilles and also to be quite frank Napoleon was French so there is always that.
But the other week my sister did some research and lo and behold – it looks like Iranians were inspired by an old cake called Napoleon from the 19th century Russia! Apparently it was made to celebrate the Russian victory over Napoleon and the pastry crumps on top are suppose to represent the snow that helped the Russians defeat Napoleon. Honestly now that I look at it – it does resemble the Russian version more but then again who know really?
I used to to be intimidated by this cake because it looks all fancy and complex and I always thought this was one of those pastries you can only buy from bakeries. But honestly, it’s so simple to make and obviously it might require some extra work if you decide to make your own puff pastry but this recipe is a simpler version with a frozen puff pastry sheet.
So next time you have guests over, serve them a piece of this buttery flaky layered puff pastry with soft and creamy insides and you might witness your own victory. Bon Shabétit!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 300 ml Double cream
- 2 tsp Vanilla paste
- 1 dl Caster sugar
- 1/2 dl Icing sugar
- 1/2 dl Pistachio - chopped
- 1 tbsp Rose petals
- Preheat oven to 200° F
- Divide the Puff pastry into 3 equal rectangle shapes + leave some leftover for the crumbs. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Using your fingers, crumble the leftover piece to as it's being used as topping.
- Place the double cream, caster sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, whisk the mixture on medium speed until the mixture is stiff.
- Using a spatula, place some cream on the bottom piece and spread it to the corners. Do the same thing with the middle and top piece.
- Sprinkle the crushed puff pastry and then the caster sugar on top. Garnish with the chopped pistachios and rose petals.
- Ideally, leave it in the fridge for 2h to chill before serving.